Why strawberry leaves turn yellow and dry
Berry plantations are always very sensitive to external conditions. The leaves of a strawberry are as delicate as its fruits, and it is they that are affected by all diseases and errors in care. Today we will explain why they turn yellow and dry. After all, the sooner you determine the reason - the higher the chances of a favorable outcome!
Most often, there are several reasons why strawberry leaves turn yellow, so you need to solve them comprehensively. This is a violation of care, improper choice of a place for planting, heat or long rains. Like other berries, strawberries can hurt and attract numerous garden pests.
Strawberry leaves turn yellow evenly
If the sheet plate gradually turns yellow from the tip or evenly changes color - most likely, the matter is in the wrong care. If you find out the cause of the problem in time and eliminate it, then the strawberry will soon recover on its own.
- Strawberries do not tolerate completely open areas, so that the leaves may turn yellow due to a banal sunburn. Take care of shelter by noon;
- If strawberries do not have enough moisture, then the leaves dry out from heat, dehydration and poor absorption of nutrients at the same time;
- Strawberries may turn yellow due to weakened immunity, which happens with regular evening watering. So the earth does not dry out until the temperature drops and the berry freezes;
- Very often, strawberry leaves turn yellow due to a lack of magnesium, which directly affects photosynthesis. In this case, the spots may gradually turn brown or purple;
- During active growth, nitrogen is required, which directly affects the formation of green mass;
- Leaves turn yellow between green veins when infected with infectious or non-infectious chlorosis. In this case, yellowness acquires an almost lemon tint;
- If the root system is damaged during excavation, the strawberry will turn yellow and wither until it is fully restored.
Yellow spots on strawberry leaves
Leaves turn yellow spots, chaotic fragments and complex patterns due to fungi and diseases. It is important to take action as quickly as possible, because infections spread easily through the garden.
- If the spots on the leaves are covered with a whitish bloom - this is real or downy mildew. Fungicide treatment is required;
- If the leaves look as if covered with a yellow mosaic pattern - it could be a mosaic virus. Unfortunately, it is incurable and damaged strawberry bushes need to be destroyed as soon as possible;
- Look carefully at the bushes for undetected colonies of aphids, ticks or pennies. They drink juices from the plant, and also carry diseases and infections;
- Strawberries will regularly turn yellow and hurt if you water it with cold water and not loosen the beds after watering.
Strawberry leaves turn yellow in the greenhouse
When growing berries in a greenhouse there are fewer problems with care, because in a greenhouse it is easier to maintain temperature and humidity. At the same time, all fungi and diseases under such favorable conditions reproduce almost instantly!
- You need to adjust the temperature regime before landing. If the earth is too warm and the air is cool - the strawberry will turn yellow due to such a difference;
- It is important not to increase humidity above normal, because the leaves will begin to turn yellow, soften and rot;
- The greenhouse must be ventilated, otherwise the strawberries will wither away from the heat and lack of air;
- The soil in the greenhouse is quickly depleted, so it needs to be periodically changed and carefully follow the feeding schedule.
Strawberry leaves curl and dry.
Also, the leaves of the strawberries are deformed, curled and gradually dry out when affected by diseases. Or the plant is critically lacking in nutrients and needs complex nutrition.
- Rust leaves yellow-orange spots on the leaves, which gradually turn brown and brown;
- late blight wilting leads to the fact that the leaves wither from the bottom up until the strawberries die at all;
- All kinds of spotting - fungal diseases of different origin lead to the same consequences. Fortunately, most of them are treated the same way: you need to remove the damaged parts, treat the sections with charcoal and use the fungicide according to the instructions;
- When the leaves dry at the edges, and then crumble - this is a deficiency of potassium.
Strawberry leaves turn yellow after planting
In this case, the problem is most often in the wrong choice of place, because strawberries are sensitive to soil and neighborhood. Such nuances must be taken into account long before planting seedlings.
- If the soil is too acidic, then the leaves turn yellow spots. Therefore, the soil before planting strawberries must be prepared for six months and, if necessary, deoxidized;
- On the site, it is important to observe crop rotation and not to grow the same crops for years in one place. Strawberries are likely to turn yellow on former beds of potatoes, nightshade or asters;
- If a strawberry is near a raspberry or a flower bed with tulips, the problem may be that the weevil eats its leaves;
- If the planting is too thick, the leaves will also wither away, because they lack nutrients. Leave the distance between the bushes at least 25 cm;
- If there was at least one infected seedling during planting, then the entire plantation may turn yellow in the future. For example, viral xanthosis spreads this way.