How to get rid of aphids: the best folk remedies
Nobody has managed to completely avoid the appearance of aphids in the garden. But this is not a reason to do anything, because the ubiquitous pest eats plant sap and suffers various diseases. We figured out how to get rid of these nasty insects. There is good news: with the best folk remedies you do not need chemicals or pesticides!
Aphids: what is dangerous and how to detect
Aphids settle on almost any plant and systematically draws juices out of them. Leaves wither and turn yellow, planting becomes sensitive to all fungi and infections. At times, buds are formed worse, and the crop deteriorates and dies! Aphids attract ants and other pests because they secrete a sweet pad. And also it carries viruses, fungi and infections.
Recognizing aphids in the early stages is very difficult, because it is very small and hides on the back of the leaves. That is why it is important to regularly inspect the plantings, examine the leaf plates from all sides and make sure that they do not twist down. Indirect symptoms of aphid invasion are dry leaves, unopened buds, and unformed fruits.
Aphids in the garden - how to fight?
Among all pests, aphids have a small, albeit dubious, advantage. She has a very fragile shell that even ordinary soapy water destroys. So you can do without even chemical insecticides.
- Rinse out all the beds that are possible from the hose;
- For greater efficiency, prepare a solution of liquid soap at the rate of a spoon per liter;
- Grind 100 g tar soap into a bucket of water and use for spraying;
- Pass through a chopper or chop finely two glasses of tomato leaves, potato tops or sorrel. Pour the mass with a little more water, let it brew for several days and dilute in a bucket for spraying;
- Prepare an infusion of 40 g finely chopped onions per liter of water. Soak the mixture overnight, add a little laundry soap and strain;
- Garlic infusion is prepared in the same way as onion, but 250 g of garlic are needed per liter of water. 50 ml of concentrate is enough for a spraying bucket of water, so it’s also very economical;
- Mix shredded horseradish, hot pepper or any other burning ingredients with water and liquid soap;
- Plant marigolds near cucumber and bean beds for prevention, and tansy and feverfew along the perimeter of the garden. These plants contain substances that repel pests;
- Attract aphids to the garden of natural enemies - ground beetles, ladybugs and lacewings. Now you don’t even need to take special measures, because their larvae are specially in stores.
How to get rid of aphids on trees
Aphids love fruit trees, but on the whole, absolutely all the inhabitants of your site are happy with it. Therefore, do not forget about preventive spring and autumn spraying!
- First, flush the trees with plain water from a hose to remove most of the colony;
- For spraying chopping 300 g of laundry soap in a bucket of water and add a spoonful of soda ash;
- Add 250 g of ash to a bucket of water and boil the solution for 20-30 minutes. Leave it to stand for a day, add a little soap and spray the trees;
- Prepare an infusion of 200 g of dried tobacco leaves per liter of water, leave it for two days and dilute in a bucket;
- For prevention, plant nasturtium near peaches and apricots, calendula near a strawberry plantation, and pelargonium between fruit trees. Plant garlic near the currant bushes and gooseberries - all these plants repel aphids;
- Preventively spray the trees even before the buds open and simultaneously treat them with ant agents. They love the sweet pad that aphids secrete, so they often bring it with them;
- At the end of the season, be sure to remove all plant debris from under the trees and conduct sanitary pruning.
How to remove aphids from seedlings
Seedlings are very sensitive to all external factors, so aphids can completely destroy it. Young greens languish before our eyes, the leaves curl and lose color.
- If the aphids are very small - remove them manually with gloves;
- Treat seedlings with a solution of 30 g of laundry soap per liter of water;
- Add 100 g of tobacco powder to a liter of soapy solution;
- Pour 200 g of pine needles with a liter of water, let it brew for a couple of days, dilute and use for washing;
- Use a solution with the addition of neem oil - an effective natural remedy against aphids. At the same time, this is an excellent prevention from thrips and ticks;
- 300 g of chopped chamomile, marigolds or dandelions, along with the roots, pour a liter of water and let it brew for 3 days;
- If the seedlings are in the greenhouse, then fumigation with tobacco smoke is ideal. Light a small bonfire of thin branches in a metal container and pour in the contents of any of the cheapest cigarettes.
Get rid of aphids on indoor plants
To process indoor plants from aphids, you only need the safest and most environmentally friendly recipes. Especially if the house has children or pets!
- Take the moisture-loving plants into the bathtub under a warm shower to wash off the aphids;
- Dilute some detergent for dishes with water and add a spoonful of ash;
- Add vegetable oil to the spray solution, which forms a protective film on the surface. For 2.5 liters of water, you need a quarter cup of oil and soap chips;
- Use essential oils of tea tree, lavender, citruses;
- If the aphids are too much, add a grated quarter of a bar of laundry soap and a spoonful of soda to a liter of boiling water. Dissolve everything well and cool. Dilute the concentrate with water 1: 9;
- Crush 5 cloves of garlic, add a couple of tablespoons of oil to it, cover and leave. The next day, add a spoonful of liquid soap and half a liter of water. On a liter bottle of ready-made spray solution you will need several spoons of such an infusion;
- Take 100 g of dried peel of oranges and any other citrus fruits, pour a liter of boiling water and leave the next day. Boil the solution again, strain, and dilute 1:10 with water before use.